Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Movin' on Up: To the Crib that is!

Man did we have a night, last night!

I decided that, since my boy was way too big for his bassinet, it was time to move him to his crib. Nate, being the wonderful husband that he is, dismantled the crib and moved it from the nursery, to our room. Why did he have to take it apart you ask? Because our lovely apartment, which was constructed in the 70's (and hasn't been maintained since) has doors that are too small to accommodate the size of our crib. So wonderful, glorious Nate took it apart and put it back together again in our room. I was so excited for Max to sleep in his "big boy" bed, but a little sad that we were already moving on from his beautiful Moses Basket Bassinet.
In hindsight (which is 20/20 after all), it may not have been the best decision to move him last night. You see, my boy is fully immersed in his 3 month growth spurt, and his mama is going through separation anxiety. Let me explain. Since our one glorious and heavenly night of sleep, Max has decided that it is time to grow. And with that growth, comes cluster feeding, sleeping all day, and not sleeping through the night. Cluster feeding is the most frustrating part of being a breast feeding mother. This particular behavior is designed to make sure that the milk production is in line with the child's growth and development. When said child starts to go through a particular spurt, they feed constantly to increase the milk a mother produces. Max's cluster feeding always seems to be particularly extreme. Case in point, yesterday he ate for 30 minutes, slept for 30 minutes, and then ate for 30 minutes more. During these growth spurts, my little chunky monkey gets cranky and demanding. He also doesn't let me sleep. This is the one fatal flaw that I see in the breast feeding scenerio, MAMA NEVER GETS A BREAK! Little did I know that Mister's cluster feeding would not be the sole thing that would lead to my nighttime discontent.
Max was not the one with seperation anxiety last night. It was me. My little muffin has not been more than a few inches away from me, at night, since he was 3 days old. Now, granted the crib is only a few feet farther than the bassinet was, but I can't touch him whenever I want. I can't hear him as well. He is just too far away. And for some reason, this broke my heart last night. I made me so sad that I cried. I did. I didn't like it and I couldn't handle it. The only thing that made me a little more comfortable was that Max decided that bed time was time to start talking to everything around him.
Well the cute little peanut was wide awake in his crib, talking to himself until about 12:00 am. Then he let out his warning yelp, which is used to tell mommy "you better come get me, or else!" So I got out of bed, grabbed the little squirt, and put him in bed with me. Unfortunately, this decision meant that my two guys got to sleep soundly, sprawled out across the bed, and I got to be squished uncomfortably on the edge of the bed, hanging on for dear life and moving in and out of restless sleep. Thankfully, Max wailed his starving baby cry at about 2:30 am. I got up to relieve him of his hunger, which meant that soon I would be able to get some sleep. WRONG AGAIN! Seriously, when are you going to learn woman?? The boy decided that he would eat, and then wide awake, would flirt with mama for 30 minutes. Usually, a midnight feeding takes anywhere from 20-30 minutes from start to sleepy finish. Oh, not this time. This feeding took an hour. And so would the 5:30 one. But at least I learned my lesson and put him in his crib after the 2:30 feeding.
When the boy decided that he would be up for good at 8:00, I decided I was done...spent....not going to get out of bed! My wonderful husband got up with the boy and I got to sleep in. But it wasn't nearly enough. Hopefully, baby and mama will sleep tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment